Rebecca’s recognises that qualifications and training make an important contribution to the quality of the care and education provided by early years providers. As part of our commitment to quality, we offer placements to students undertaking early years qualifications and training. We also offer placements for school pupils on work experience.
We aim to provide for students on placement with us, experiences that contribute to the successful completion of their studies and that provide examples of quality practice in early years care and education.
- We require students on qualification courses to meet the ‘suitable people’ requirements of Ofsted and have DBS checks carried out.
- We require students in our setting to have a sufficient understanding and use of English to contribute to the well-being of children in our care.
- We require schools placing students under the age of 16 years with the setting to vouch for their good character.
- We supervise students under the age of 17 years at all times and do not allow them to have unsupervised access to children.
- Students undertaking qualification courses who are placed in our setting on a short term basis are not counted in our staffing ratios.
- Trainee staff employed by the setting and students over the age of 17 will not be included in the ratios if they are deemed competent and responsible.
- We take out employers’ liability insurance and public liability insurance, which covers both trainees and voluntary helpers.
- We require students/volunteers/trainees to keep to our confidentiality policy.
- We co-operate with students’ tutors in order to help students to fulfil the requirements of their course of study.
- We provide students, at the first session of their placement, with a short induction on how our setting is managed, how our sessions are organised and our policies and procedures.
- We communicate a positive message to students about the value of qualifications and training.
- We make the needs of the children paramount by not admitting students in numbers that hinder the essential work of the setting.
- We ensure that trainees and students placed with us are engaged in bona fide early years training, which provides the necessary background understanding of children’s development and activities.