Suspensions and Exclusion Policy
Rebeccas Out of School Club will deal with negative and inappropriate behaviour by using constructive behaviour management techniques. We will involve staff, parents and children to tackle disruptive and challenging behaviour collectively.
We acknowledge that some children will require additional support in order to achieve acceptable levels of behaviour. Where we identify a child with these needs, we will work closely with the parents or carers to deal with the inappropriate behaviour in accordance with our Behaviour Management policy.
Where a child persistently behaves inappropriately, we will implement the following procedure:
- Give the child a formal warning; staff will explain why the behaviour is unacceptable along with the consequences of further incidents.
- Staff will encourage the child to discuss their behaviour, to explain their actions and to identify strategies for avoiding such incidents in the future.
- Details of formal warnings, suspension and exclusions will be recorded on an Incident Record and kept in the child’s records.
- The formal warning will be discussed with the child’s parents, and all staff will be notified.
Staff will inform the manager if a child’s behaviour warrants suspension or exclusion.
We will only suspend or exclude a child from the Club as a last resort, when all other behaviour management strategies have failed or if we feel that children or staff are at risk.
Suspension and exclusions will be fair, consistent and appropriate to the behaviour concerned, and will take account of the child’s age and maturity as well as any other factors relevant to the child’s situation. If appropriate, we will seek advice from other agencies, this may include accessing funding for additional support.
Temporary suspensions will be applied in the following situations:
- Where formal warnings have failed to improve a child’s persistent, challenging and unacceptable behaviour.
- In the event of an extremely serious or dangerous incident we will suspend a child with immediate effect. We will contact the parents and ask that the child be collected immediately. Immediate suspensions require the manager’s/owners agreement.
The Club may temporarily suspend the child for a period of up to 15 consecutive days. If the Club takes this step, we will discuss our concerns with the parents/carers in order to work together to promote a more desirable pattern of behaviour.
At the end of the suspension period the owner/manager will meet with the parents/carers and the child, in order to agree any conditions relating to the child’s return to club.
In exceptional circumstances, and only when all other attempts at behaviour management have failed, it may be necessary to permanently exclude a child from the setting.
If a child is excluded from the Club, the parents/carers will be given a verbal and written explanation of the issues and subsequent actions. They have the right to appeal to the Owner against the exclusion within the 14 days of receiving written notification of the exclusion.
This policy was adopted at a meeting of Rebeccas out of School Club (name of provider)
Held on: Sept 17 (date)
Date to be reviewed: September 2018 (date)
Role of Signatory: Owner
Name of signatory: Tracy Hannigan-Palmer